April 15, 2015

Getting Stuff Done 101

Sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated. With this year coming to an end quicker than I could of imagined, it's important for me to stay motivated these next few weeks. Between thesis papers, apartment hunting, launching the Macanoon website, and preparing for Europe adventures, there's a lot on the 'to-do' list. So, it's crucial I stay focused in order to get everything done...This time of year comes with a lot of things to do, which is made especially hard when the weather is finally beautiful! That's why I thought I'd share with you my coping mechanisms to stay motivated even when it might seem like the most difficult task.

How to stay focused & get stuff done...


1. Create a to-do list the night before. 

It's a necessity to have a cute notepad to do this. So make sure to pick out good stationary to write these lists on. I prefer T.J. Maxx, but find what best suits your needs. Oh, and a pen that you love. You know... the one that makes your handwriting look perfect (we all know what I'm talking about). 



2. Wake up & get going. 

Know what you're going to do when you wake up. Skip looking at your phone. This makes it especially difficult to get out of bed & extremely easy to fall back to sleep... oh and if you're anything like me... Instagram will seem especially intriguing if it means staying in bed a little longer and then... 30 minutes goes by.. So get up & make your bed.. that way you aren't too tempted to get back in it (I'm really working on this part of my own plan). 

3. Eat a healthy breakfast. 

Think of this the night before. I love food, so if I know I have a delicious breakfast full of fresh fruit, I will be exciting to get up and eat it. That's all it takes for me. So, I try to plan out what I'm going to eat for breakfast so I can be excited to get up and get going so I can eat it. 


 

  A Household Almanac                    

4. Exercise.

I think this is the most important part. I like running, so that's what I do for exercise but whatever works for you, go for it! Even if it just means bringing the dog for a walk around the neighborhood. I like to workout in the morning (mainly so I can get it out of the way). I'm not going to lie and say I love working out while I'm doing it, but the after effects are wonderful! Exercising releases endorphins from the brain that make you feel happy. This is science! Oh, and if you workout in the morning you'll continue burning calories for the rest of the day, which is a plus. 




Best part is.. when I do it in the morning I feel like I've already conquered the world, and it's only 9am! Oh, and obviously I recommend preparing for this by creating a workout schedule that you'll feel motivated to follow. And make sure to go shopping and grab some nice workout clothes & maybe some new sneakers. You'll be so excited to wear them you'll have no problem finding the motivation to exercise.

5. Get to work. 

Now it's time to do all that stuff on the to-do list. Depending on what you do, this will differ for all of us. This is the boring part so I'll let you figure out what work-related tasks you need to accomplish on your own.


*** Music & Coffee. Just as a side note, I think listening to music throughout the day (I've been loving the Riptide-Vance Joy Pandora station lately), and treating yourself to your favorite coffee drink is really important. For me, these are the perfect pick-me-ups for the middle of the day when I start to get tired. This might be different for you.. if so share what works for you in the comment section below! I'd love to hear, and I'm sure our other readers would as well! ***

7. Prepare a good dinner. This is break time.

Like I said, I love food. So, knowing that I have a yummy meal waiting to be prepared at home is what keeps me going. Plan ahead so that you have the fridge stocked with everything you'll need. Use dinner prep time as a time to recollect yourself from the day and begin to relax. Once again, bumping the music will be crucial here. 


8. Relax & get ready for the next day. 

You're finally done for the day, now it's time to relax. Bring out the candle with your favorite scent, grab a blanket and sit on the couch.. or take a bath (that's Morgans personal fave activity). Do you. Recently it's been Grey's anatomy for me that's taken up the majority of this time of the night (extremely stereotypical, I know). 

Make sure to get a goodnight sleep. Our sleep is so important, and is the reason why we can have these awesome, productive days! And don't forget to write tomorrows to-do list. 



It's all about finding things that put you in a good mood and make you feel accomplished. Being productive actually has really positive effects on us as people & the process is really rewarding! That's what keeps you motivated! So stop reading and get going! 


xoxo Nicole 

No comments:

Post a Comment