April 8, 2015

How to Make Your Bedroom an Oasis

Every since I was a little girl, my bedroom acted as my sanctuary. I would always go there for time away, whenever I needed space. Im not sure if it was due to habit but i'm still the same way today. I love my bedroom! Something about the art of crafting a perfect bedroom is always so much fun for me. I love being able to create a place that speaks to the inhibitor but also acts as their haven. When creating a bedroom there are a couple of important aspects to keep in check to make sure you are achieving the most relaxing experience for your self. 





Your Mattress: 
For me, the most important part of any bedroom is the bed(as it should be!).We spend approximately 5-8 hours in there a night(maybe even a little more). Your bed should be the most comfortable piece of furniture you own.  Starting from the ground up with the mattress. You should be reevaluating your mattress every five to seven years ( our grandparents were crazy, having the same bed their entire life!). When buying a mattress I suggest going into the store and testing it out. There are so many different kinds and styles, it's important to get up there and test it out because your going to have it for a while. 




What's Your Count: 
One of the most over looked aspects of creating the most comfortable bed, is the bedding. Remember every detail counts! When it comes to bedding I tend to like the all white look, something about having crisp white bedding makes it read nice and clean! Plus that's what hotels do isn't?!  Cleanliness is a huge factor for me when it comes to my bedding, that is also why I love duvets; you can remove the comforter and clean the duvet, not to mention they are so incredibly puffy it's like your literally sleeping on a cloud. One of my favorite places to buy bedding from is Matouk, they have a great selection of reasonably priced bedding. 






Color: 
The paint you choose for your bedroom can have the most obvious affect on the overall feeling of the room. This is where it's important to understand the psychology of color. For example the color blue  speaks to the peace and tranquility of a space, making blue the most popular color to paint a bedroom. Understanding how each color will make you feel is very important, especially when you are trying to make a tranquil space for yourself. I would advise you to put up a couple of different samples and live it for a couple of days, so you see it in the different light. I personally love Joa's White, Ballroom blue, and Elephants Breath from Farrow and Ball. 


















Lighting: 
Having a couple of different light sources in your bedroom is very essential to creating different moods. My tip would be to have overhead lighting, either flush mount or chandelier. I would also have as least another secondary lighting source, this could be smaller directional flush mounts or a bed side table lamp. The most important element to lighting is to having it on a dimmer, this way you can easily change the lighting no matter what.





With much love, 
Morgan 

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 //

No comments:

Post a Comment